Kisima Tours and Safaris is a tour operating company that upholds sustainability. We do all we can to maximize on the positive effect on the environment and the culture of places we visit, so as to minimize the great effects of travel. Tourism depend on the natural recourses of a place, environment, culture and the people around a particular region. That is why we are concerned with the global climatic impact and work hard to reduce our carbon ‘footprints’ both out there in the field and in the office.
Our efforts have been confirmed to be right and recognize and certificated by Travelife. This means that during the 2017 WTM London, we were awarded a certificate by Travelife. Travelife is a leading training, management and certification initiative for tourism companies committed to reach sustainability. This achievement came after we set aside some initiatives and followed them closely. We still come across some ways of practicing sustainability better.
Now when it comes to tour operators and sustainability, three things are often involved; the Environment, the Society and the economy.
To the Environment;
- We ensure we contract vehicle that have good engine so as to reduce the amount of CO2, nitrous oxide and methane released to the environment.
- We give our clients seed ball in our welcoming kits so that they dispatch them as they tour. A smart way to plant trees through Aerial reforestation.
- We advise our clients strictly on tips of practicing sustainable tourism, so that they enjoy their safari knowing that they have left no negative traces in their safari destinations.
- We partner with and support properties who work to preserve their natural and cultural environment (Eco Lodges & Camps).
- In the office, we recycle used papers for printing (if we have to) because we see each paper as a fallen tree.
- Going Digital in the way we share internal information has helped us reduce the use of papers in the office.
- We use natural lights other than electricity.
To the Community;
- We also support Parks, Reserves and Camps that are communally owned so that we support the communities directly.
- We offer voluntourism and community outreach programs for people in the rural areas, with disability and terminal ailments.
- Our manual for sustainability travel include instructions that guides a client on how to respect culture and the community visited how ever different it may seem.
To the Economy;
- Curio stops; souvenir shopping is not only for the client’s benefit but also a way to give back to different communities gifted in art. It is a source of income for them.
- Attraction visitations improves the hosting county’s economy.
- We support properties and attraction that provide employment for the locals so as to improve their living standards.